Gravity Power Grid-Scale Electricity Storage System
Gravity Power, LLC, a spin-off of LaunchPoint Technologies, Inc., is developing a revolutionary. The company's new Gravity Power Module(GPM)TM exploits the established principles of pumped storage hydropower, but extends the concept in a new direction: Down.
Pumped storage hydropower (PSH) is the only large-scale electricity storage technology widely used today, with over 120,000 megawatts of capacity worldwide. However, a new PSH installation typically takes 11 to 15 years to develop and an investment exceeding one billion dollars before a single watt of power is produced. It also has severe siting limitations due to the need for two large reservoirs at different elevations and the resulting environmental disruption.
Gravity Power Module (GPM
In contrast, a GPM can be quickly installed underground with virtually no adverse environmental impacts. The has a very small footprint that can be sited almost anywhere electricity storage is needed. With a combination of proven pump-turbine technologies and ground-breaking system architecture, the GPM offers far superior operating characteristics and economics over conventional pumped hydro storage, compressed air energy storage, or batteries.
GPM Peak Power Octal Configuration
Energy Storage and Clean Energy
In a series of articles, David Anthony, Managing Director of 21 Ventures and Board Director for Gravity Power, discusses the importance of energy storage in implementing clean energy technology.
- Part 1: Everybody Loves Clean Energy, But No One Wants to Pay For It, David Anthony, GigaOM, CleanTech News, October 4, 2010.
- Part 2: The Energy Storage Story, David Anthony, GigaOM, CleanTech News, November 23, 2010.
- Part 3: A New Energy Storage Option: Gravity Power, David Anthony, GigaOM, CleanTech News, January 19, 2011.
Gravity Power in the News
- Gravity Power Module Revolutionizes Pumped Hydro Energy Storage, Triplepundit, March 11, 2011.
- Gravity Power, LLC Selected to Present at CleanEquity Monaco 2011, PRNewswire, February 16, 2011.
- Gravity Power’s New Take on Pumped-Hydro Energy Storage: A “new” technology tackles grid-scale energy storage, GreentechMedia, November 9, 2010.
- A Standard Approach to Turbine R&D, International Water Power and Dam Construction Magazine, October 2010
- Gravity Power Module: Turning Conventional Pumped Hydro on Its Head, PlanetSave, October 1, 2010.
- A Weighting Game, International Water Power and Dam Construction Magazine, March 2010 (online version, April 13, 2010)
About Gravity Power, LLC
Formerly known as LaunchPoint Innovations LLC, Gravity Power is a venture-backed startup company that was formed in 2009. Jim Fiske, Founder and CEO, worked in collaboration with LaunchPoint Technologies to obtain venture capital and hire key employees for the initial development stage of the project. The management team includes: